Discovering Diabetes™ Training Program
Diabetes Education & Management Tools
The Discovering Diabetes™ Program
The Discovering Diabetes™ Program and Self-Care Education Curriculum helps you quickly get your diabetes education program running with our evidence-based curriculum, program manual and teaching tools. A unique and effective program to help you “Make a Difference in Diabetes”.
Now you can have a world-class diabetes education program that is:
- Behaviorally directed
- Clinically effective
- Financially viable
- Consistent with Diabetes Canada Clinical Practice Guidelines
WITHOUT WAITING and without tying up precious staff time needed for patient care.
Available in both Indigenous and General Audience version, our diabetes self-management education program package gives you the all-in-one start you need to begin a diabetes education program.
The Discovering Diabetes™ program includes:
- a program manual which guides the set up of your diabetes education program from vision to implementation to evaluation.
- a standardized, yet flexible diabetes education curriculum
- Discovering Diabetes Records, to guide patients in their care
- having clients Discover how to have diabetes fit into their REAL life
- consistent messaging between educators and diabetes education programs
- support and advice from diabetes educators using the curriculum
- marketing tips on how to fill your classes with students
Benefits to using this curriculum include:
- Addressing Multiple Learning Styles: HEARING your instruction for auditory learners, SEEING the slides and myth book for visual learners, and HANDS-ON using of the myth book and the Discovery record for kinesthetic learners.
- Active Participation: The curriculum is linked to pages in the myth book and encourages active participation and learning.
- Consistent Content and Terminology: Inconsistent messaging and use of non-standardized or high grade-level reading teaching tools is common and can be overwhelming and confusing to people with diabetes.
Inconsistent or conflicting information makes learning very difficult for non-medical people, poor readers or English as a second language clients to understand.
The Discovering Diabetes™ curriculum is taught as 4- 2 hour classes and uses the Myth Books and Tool of Discovery to help clients discover how diabetes works inside them.
Includes Professional Quality Slides
Each slide has a different key diabetes message with formatting consistency and Myth Book page indicator. Each curriculum package comes with a digital copy of the 100+ high-quality PowerPoint™ slides in either the Original or Indigenous version.
Slides can be used in a variety of ways and in a variety of practice settings in order to best meet your client’s learning needs.
Complete our needs assessment to see if the Discovering Diabetes™ program is right for your diabetes education and training needs.
Diabetes Patient Reference Books
Diabetes Myths, Misconceptions and Big Fat Lies! Myth Book
A supplemental book to reinforce the concepts of the Discovering Diabetes™ education program using hands-on learning and consistent messaging. Written to dispel diabetes myths and offer diabetes truths to guide clients towards successful diabetes self-management. Useful both as a part of the Discovering Diabetes™ self-management workshop series and also in individual client sessions.
Diabetes…Myth or Truth? Myth Book
A Indigenous specific client book that uses Indigenous storytelling to guide client learning. Written to dispel diabetes myths told by the coyote and offer diabetes management truths from the eagle, to aid in diabetes self-management. Useful both as a part of the Discovering Diabetes™ self-management workshop series and also in individual client sessions.
discovering Diabetes™ Curriculum
Professional Training Program
Want to offer a diabetes education program that guides your clients to live their best life and become their own diabetes self-manager? Diabetes Training 101™ Inc. offers a 4-day hands-on professional training program in the delivery of our Discovering Diabetes™ self-management education model. Our model uses a behaviour based approach that empowers your clients to live their best life with the tools available to them, in the life they currently lead.
You will learn how to effectively use the Discovering Diabetes™ tools so you can be confident that your education program is Making a Difference. Using our teaching tools, client myth books and reflective and meaningful course work, you can have clients seeking out your services and coming back to you with great results.
Follow Diabetes Training 101 Inc. on Facebook
for free diabetes tips, updates and resources. There you can ask questions and access diabetes information directly from our Certified Diabetes Educator.